Monday, January 30, 2012

Poetry Inspiration/ Skills

We are learning about poetry and the characteristics of breathtaking poetry. We've known since the beginning of the year that we can read like writers. Often times, the authors of the texts we read in class become mentor authors for us, teaching us new and exciting skills or inspiring us with ideas which we then try in our own writing.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Choose a poem to read.
2. Record 5 or more lines of this poem in your blog journal or in your online blog response. (If you can record the entire poem, that would be EXCELLENT!)
3. Identify one skill you want to try in your own writing after reading this poem OR one idea for a poem that you came up with after reading this poem.


Example:

Memory Loss

It's not like losing a wallet,
or even your best friend.

Losing your memory is
losing yourself.

Each sentence Grandma speaks
makes me think of crossing a river.

She steps from word to word
until suddenly

she stops in the middle, disoriented.
Should she go back or keep going?

Mom takes Grandma by the hand
and helps her safely to the other side.

-Ralph Fletcher

I read "Memory Loss" by Ralph Fletcher. I notice that the author uses a metaphor to compare the Grandma trying to speak and the act of crossing a river. I would like to try using a metaphor in a poem I'm writing about graduating elementary school. Graduating elementary school reminds me of taking those first few steps into the ocean. You fear what lies just below your range of vision, yet you feel comforted in the fact that everyone else is clamoring into the water or is already in the water having fun. Of course, graduating from the elementary means leaving close friends and teachers, who you've known for so long. Similarly, jumping into the water means leaving the warmth of the sand and sun behind for what might be a refreshing and exciting, albeit, new experience.

4 comments:

  1. Orange Poem
    Have you ever heard the sound of orange?
    If not can you hear the cougar pride?
    Can you hear the football players bashing helmets?
    Can you hear the fans cheering?
    If you can you have you heard the sound of orange.
    -Devan Sosnoski

    The thing that I learned about this orange poem is that you can ask questions in your poem and state the answer after you asked the question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is red?

    Red is a sunset
    Blazing and bright.
    Red is feeling brave
    With all your might.
    Red is a sunburn
    A spot on your nose.
    Sometimes red, is a red red rose.
    Red squiggles out when you cut your hand.
    Red is a brick
    And the sounds of a band.
    Red is hotness
    You get inside
    When you’re embarrassed
    And want to hide.
    Fire-cracker, fire-engine
    Fire-flicker red –
    And when you’re angry
    Red runs through your head.

    Red is an Indian
    A Valentine heart,
    The trimmings on
    A circus cart.
    Red is a lipstick
    Red is a shout
    Red is a signal
    That says, “Watch out!”
    Red is a great big
    Rubber ball.
    Red is the giant-est
    Colour of all.
    Red is a show-off,
    No doubt about it –
    But can you imagine
    Living without it?
    -Author Unknown

    I read What is Red? and the author was unknown. I learned from this poem that repeating the beginning of each stanaza in a poem can make your poem sound better. I noticed this when the author repeated the introduction Red is. I think that this would benefit my poem about a peacock in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FALLING UP
    I tripped on my shoelace
    And I fell up—
    Up to the roof tops,
    Up over town,
    Up past the tree tops,
    Up over the mountains,
    Up where the colors
    Blend into the sounds.
    But it got me so dizzy
    When I looked around,
    I got sick to my stomach
    And I threw down.

    By: Shel Silverstein.

    I have always loved the works of Shel Silverstein. In this poem “Falling Up”, the author uses sensory details. As an example: “Up where the colors blend into the sounds.” His writing always goes right to your heart or your funny bone. One skill that I would like to develop in writing is humor as well as learning how to write using sensory details.

    One of my favorite books, growing up, is “The Giving Tree.” Shel Silverstein can be funny, silly or very deep, like in The Giving Tree. In that book, there is a real lesson about taking things for granted and not realizing the meaning of sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sticks
    Let's throw sticks in the creek all day
    Let's not do the things we've planned
    Let's watch the sticks float away
    Everyone will understand

    Let's watch whirling water flow.....
    -Author Unknown

    I would like to try using repetition at the beginning of every line!!!
    Bye:)

    ReplyDelete