This past week we began to explore persuasive writing. We spent Monday and Tuesday growing persuasive writing ideas through discussion. We learned that writers choose topics that mean a lot to them. We can expand on these topics using prompts.
“The surprising thing about this is…”
“This makes me realize…”
“To add on…”
“This makes me think…”
“In other words…”
Directions
1. Identify your persuasive topic by sharing your “should” question.
2. Share your thesis statement.
3. Describe how you arrived at this idea in 3-4 sentences. Identify what your initial topic was, what you discussed in your conversation with your partner, what other topics you considered, and why you finally decided on this topic.
My should question is should student and teachers be friends on facebook.
ReplyDeleteMy thesis question is students and teachers should have a facebook.
My initial topic that i cared about was airsoft.
With my partner, i discussed video games i thought of writing about some other topics,such as family.
However, i finally decided to write about this topic because i finally wrote that because i have a facebook.
MY should question is should students be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high school.
ReplyDeleteMY thesis question is students should be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high schools.my initial topic that cared about was should kids be able to play games awhile.
With my partner I discussed how it can not be good when you play way to much.
One of my other topics like should kids be able to get sweet drinks.
However I did my final topic because I have more to talk about.
My should question is should pet owners spend more time interacting with their pets. My thesis statement was that pet owners should spend more time interacting with their pets. With my partner, I discussed why people don't spend nearly enough time with their pets as they should be. My other topic was should people spend more time with their families. In the end, I did should people spend more time with their pets because I thought that I had better reasons for that topic then the other.
ReplyDeleteMy should question is should students wear uniforms?
ReplyDeleteMy thesis question is that students should not wear uniforms.
My initial topic that I cared about was arguing against video games.
With my partner I discussed that you have to wash your uniforms everyday. And you keep on buying soap.
I thought of writing about some other topics such as video games.
However I finally decided to write about this topic because I have more information about it.
My should question is that are cellphones safe to use. My thesis is are cellphones safe to use? My partner and I discussed how dangerous cellphones can be. Also, we talked about that they can be safe. We think that they can be safe to use in case of problems. My other topic was should commercials be banned from TV programs. In the end I chose are cellphones safe to use.
ReplyDeletemy should question is should dog fighting be illegal. my theses is dog fighting should be illegal. if your dog are fighting may be your dog can get really get heart.should your kids war uniforms. no because you will have to us all you money to wash you all fit.
ReplyDeleteMy should question is should teens 13 be alowd to watch R rated moves. My thesis question is teens over 13 should not be able to watch R rated movies. My initial topic that I cared about was teens watching R rated movies. With my partner I discussed the bad things in R rated movies. I thought of writing about other topics such free time and having a pet. Finally, I decided to write about this topic because there are more reasons agents it.
ReplyDeleteShould kids be more active?
ReplyDeleteKids should be more active because they to be healthy. Instead they are taking risks into other directions.
My initial topic is kids should be more active.
What I discused with my partner was listing why kids should be more active. I had another topic about spending more time with your dog but this was better.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe question that my partner, Megan and I ask is should celebrities be held to a higher standard of behavior?
ReplyDeleteMy thesis statement is that celebrities should be held to a higher standard of behavior.
It’s surprising that many celebrities think that they are entitled to act in ways that should not be accepted.
Young children admire these people, whether they are singers, actors, dancers or involved in sports. Often the way celebrities act is wrong; using bad language, not dressing appropriately or getting involved with drugs and alcohol. In other words, these celebrities who are doing these things are setting bad examples for young people.
Adding to this, when young people follow these behaviors, they will realize that they are being judged even if those celebrities are not! To add to this, an article I read said that the parents should step in and explain to their children that the celebrities are wrong.
Yes, the parents should guide their children, but often many don’t.
Therefore, I feel that the celebrities acting this way should be taken out of the public view, and be forced to follow the same standards that the rest of us do.