Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Descriptive Writing Structure Ideas

This week, we learned that there are a variety of structures that we can use in our writing. In groups, we read and analyzed the structures of picture books, such as In November, Near One Cattail, The Music Inside Me, A Quiet Place, etc. We noticed that some of these books had the following structures: chronological, cumulative, and circular/cyclical. We also learned that flashbacks and common/repeated phrases also impact the structure of the text.  On Tuesday, we learned that we can fit our stories to these structures. What kind of stories do you plan on writing based on the structures of the stories we analyzed?

DIRECTIONS:
1. Identify the text read in class.

I read ___________ in class.

2. List the structure used in this book.

This book had a _____________ structure.

3. List 2 story ideas that you can fit to this SAME structure.

My first idea is to write about _________.

I think this structure is the best for this piece because __________.

My second idea is to write about _________.

I think this structure is the best for this piece because __________.

4 comments:

  1. I am reading A bad Case Of Stripes. This book is chronological. My book is how she got the stripes and then how ever body is making fun of her. Then at the end a old lady came in and cord her. The funny thin is when she melltid into her room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janent Stevens.

    This story had a circular structure. I know this because the story starts and end with a dog losing his ball and ends the same way .It started like the prairie dogs find a green ball and one of the prary dogs go and tuoches it ,then they have a fight ,then bark get all of the fuzz when they were sleeping, then a eagal comes and takes bark then bark wigls out , then the prayer dogs catch him,then the dog gets a new ball that is red then it start all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janet Stevens
    this story had a circular structure.I know this because in the story it started off with a dog and a tennis ball fell in then they all wanted it.they fought over the fuzz. Then they all lost it and there was none left.Then the dog got a new ball again and it started over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not in school when these structures were analyzed. I did not read these books, so I picked a book from home.

    I read “Light the Lights” by Margaret Moorman.

    Emma, the main character flashes back to the holiday seasons of Christmas and Hanukkah. She tells the story, in order of the events and time that they happen. It had different types of structures. It had flashbacks, but is also chronological. It had repetitive words; “Light the Lights!” (For Hanukkah… light the menorah and Christmas… light the tree and the star on top). I noticed that the book ended where it started… with Emma remembering the Holidays again, so I think it is circular too.

    I’m going to give you my writing ideas and hopefully they will be okay. My writing ideas are about my Goddaughter, Bethe and the day she was born. It will have a flashback structure, and some chronological events of our lives.

    A second idea is for a poem it is about "A Very Snowy Day in October." The descriptive structure will also be in flashback form, because it’s fun to use. It will have repetition and a chronological order too, just like the story with Bethe and “Light the Lights.” This type of structure is best for these pieces because it gives the writer… me, an opportunity to be real creative, by looking back.

    ReplyDelete