Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Identifying Descriptive Writing Structures


This week, we learned that there are a variety of structures that we can use in our writing. In groups, we read and analyzed the structures of picture books, such as In November, Near One Cattail, The Music Inside Me, A Quiet Place, etc. We noticed that some of these books had the following structures: chronological, cumulative, and circular/cyclical. We also learned that flashbacks and common/repeated phrases also impact the structure of the text.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Read a picture book from home or from Mrs. Shur’s room.

2. Identify the title and author of the book.

I read ________________ by _______________.

3. Determine what the structure of the story is and why (just like we did in groups in class when we presented).

This story had a ______________ structure. I know this because in the story_______________.

8 comments:

  1. I read If You Take A Mouse To School by Laura Numeroff.
    This story had a circular structure.I know this because in the story it repeats itself over and over again. Like if you take a mouse to school he will want a lunchbox. It says it again at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Pink House at the Sea Shore by Deborah Blumenthal. This story had a flashback structure. I know this because in the story they had a flashback drinking lemonade at their seashore house witch just got abliterated by a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Horseshoe crabs shorebirds and the story of the food web, written by Rachel Gurevich and Annie Cannon illustrated by Victoria Crenson.
    This story is circular and parallel structure.
    Because it tells the story of a horse crabs cycle of life. How they mate, eat, lay their eggs, some eggs get eaten some live, they swim away, and how the eggs hatched and starts the cycle all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read I am a Dog I am a cat by Donald Hall abd Barry Moser. This story is parallel structure. This book is parallel structure because it is telling the dogs opinion and then the cats opinion and then flipping back and forth between them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Up North at the Cabin. It had a common phrase, because at the beginning of each page, it said Up North at the Cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Imogene’s Antlers by: David Small.

    This book has a Chronological order of events.

    Repetitive words and events: Imogene’s mother passes out each time she sees Imogene. Also the word, “THUD” is repeated throughout the book.

    I believe that it also has a circular structure because it begins with Imogene growing antlers and ends with her growing Peacock feathers… strange…

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The ASeven Silly Eaters book by Mary Ann Hoberman.
    This story has a reapeated phrase structure. I know this because it keeps reapeating the seven silly eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Thanksgiving I ate turkey, cranberry sauce, corn and mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were as soft as snow. All the cranberry sauce was squishy like jello. The turkey was so thick, it was as thick as a brick. The house was up bustle of smells and grandmas was hustling fast to get the food ready.

    ReplyDelete