This week we’re working on descriptive writing. Good writers include concrete details to make their writing more descriptive.
Charlotte Zolotow included concrete details in her writing and was able to paint a mental image in our heads of the seashore. An example of this is when she writes, “The tide is going out. ‘I’m hungry’ you say. I am too, so we wade over to a big rock covered with seaweed and moss. We sit there together and eat our sandwiches and drink lemonade from our thermos and watch the small brown sand crabs squiggling at our toes.” Notice how she includes action, dialogue, and sensory details.
Most likely, the author of the book that you’re reading now also includes concrete details that make his or her writing more descriptive. Remember that when you visualize, you are reading descriptive writing!
DIRECTIONS:
1. Identify the title and author of the book you’re reading.
2. Record 2-3 sentences in which the author uses concrete details.
I am reading middle school the worst tears of my life.By James Patterson
ReplyDelete"Georga ,and leonardo the silent. Sitting like rotting sardines in back of a Hills Village police car.
Miss. Swift is going to give us red or green mints that are chewy, after math at 11:00.
I am Reading Legend of the Animal Healer By Lauren ST.JOHN.my sentance from my book is ' the passenger door opened slowly and out came a pair of alligator skin cowboy boots,followed by their owne. In my writing I put the green and brown sparkeld rock.It was found in a foresty moutains area in a pile of differt sized rocks.
ReplyDeleteI am reading Queen of the toliet bowl by Frieda Wishinsky . Karin was not thrilled .
ReplyDeleteI saw mom laughing as if she won the lottery.
Big and tremendous food on wonderful New Years Eve. It was all spread out on the kitchen table. Shrimp, meet, ham, pork and crackers . It was fit for a king.
I am reading Wish You Were Here Liza by Robin Wasserman.
ReplyDeleteYes it smelled like BO. Yes lunch was two pieces of stale bread with watery mustard smooshed between then.
The candy was banging together in the bag. I was running to the next house. I was running like a black cheeta.
I am reading Are You There God? Its Me Margret by Judy Blume
ReplyDeleteIt was hot for October and my father said he remembered that it was always hot on Jewish Holidays when he was a kid. I had to wear white gloves they made my hands sweat.
When I got my jacket,snow pants,and mittens on my hands started sweating and they were soaking wet and I didn't even touch the snow.
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling.
ReplyDeleteHarry saw that what was holding him was marching on six immensely long, hairy legs. Behind him, he could hear another of the creatures, no doubt carrying Ron. They were moving to the very heart of the forest.
I looked to my right, and I saw this little, gray kitten with hazel colored eyes. Her name is Rosie. She has soft, gray fur and tiny paws.
1.I am reading 39 Clues by Rick Riordan.
ReplyDelete2.Amy started searching the library books.Dan tried to help, but he had no idea what he was looking for and quickly became bored.He spun the old globe with brown seas weird-colored continents,wondering if it would make a good bowling ball then he noticed something he'd never seen before under the pacific ocean-a signature.
3.I got some of my old clothes on and after that I got my ride and my tackle box filled with hooks, bait and fishing line.
I am reading Old Yeller by FRED GIPSON.
ReplyDeleteA second later,though,Roany was back on his feet and charged through the cloud of dust there hoofs had churned up.
My little brother skid to a stop and suddenly fell on the ground gashing his elbow on a huge rock and I ran over to help.